Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hanshin Tigers!

Inspired by Prof. Fedorowicz at Kansai Gaidai, I felt obligated to see a Hanshin Tigers game in at the Korien Stadium in Osaka. The day we went we saw the Tigers get crushed by the Carps. Even though I don't really like baseball, in fact, you might say I hate baseball, I decided it was an experience that living in Osaka compels you to do.

Regardless, I had a good time--on our way to the game we decided to get all decked-out and buy as much as we could to support Tigers! Made friends with some random group of middle-aged Japanese folks who were very generous to share their alcohol. This was one of things that shocked me--not that I was getting free alcohol from people I didn't know, but that you could so easily sneak your own booze into the stadium. In fact, if you showed up to two cans of beer at the stadium gates they poured it into a disposable glass for you! I couldn't believe this!



I wasn't surprised by the Japanese style food that was offered at the game, curry rice, noodles and the like. They also offered KFC and nachos and cheese!

Even though we lost, towards the end of the game almost everyone to the stadium bought long balloons that were released near the end of the last inning.

Baseball, and any professional sport back home for that matter was nothing like this. The crowd even had songs prepared to cheer on each player up to bat! It was truly an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment